Monday, June 24, 2013

Paint with Watercolors, Glue, and Salt on a Canvas {our results}

I have seen it all over Pinterest {the same photo and blog but still all over} and wanted to give it a shot.  So I put it on our Make Something Monday list and bought the stuff a few weeks ago at Hobby Lobby. 
paintdirections
If you’ve ever been canvas shopping at the Hob Lob then you know that it can be a very overwhelming task.  Choosing what brand, size, and then which texture.  Yea, texture {at least that’s what I’m gonna call it}.  I knew for a fact that the girls were going to use watercolors to paint with.  And the first thing I did was let them pick out which size they wanted in the cheapest brand. {yea', well, I’m cheap!} The thing I wasn’t counting on was walking by a set of canvases that were intended for watercolors.  So I put the other ones back and bought the ones intended for the watercolors.  They did cost more, but I figured that the ones made for watercolor would be the best choice.  {lesson number one: don’t always make assumptions}
june 2013 015
{lesson number two: not all directions include everything} As the girls were setting everything out today I pulled up the blog from Pinterest.  I wanted to read every.single.word., because I’m highly OCD and I wanted the girls’ pictures to look awesome.  I didn’t want to miss a single step.  The one thing that I was looking for was if the paint still needed to be wet when the salt was sprinkled on and when the glue was drizzled atop.  But as lesson number two rings true, not all directions include everything.  Which meant we were on our own.
Our problem was the watercolors were drying super quick because we bought canvases made for watercolors.  Ack.  Well in my defense the directions on said blog never directed in what kind of canvas to use.  So maybe this is where the whole thing went down hill; before we even left the store.
{lesson number three: paint should be wet for the salt and not all colors will produce pretty splatters}  Yep, we learned that the paint needs to be wet and that not all colors are created equal in the salt sprinkling department. Again, ack.
june 2013 014
{lesson number four: glue isn’t as beautiful looking as the blog shows} The glue didn’t want to work pretty globby like the pictures on the blog showed.  But the girls made do with what was going on with it.
{lesson number five: just go with it}  Kelsie finally figured out a method to what she was creating and Kayla, well she wanted perfection.  She wanted to create a well thought out abstract, but ended up pushing paint all over the canvas with the brush because she was just aggravated.
All in all the girls did enjoy this aspect of creating art.  Will we do it again?  Maybe on smaller canvases that are made for oil paints, just to see if that will make a difference.  And if it does make a difference then yep, we will!
{lesson number six: I think her son must be a budding Picaso, because the girls didn’t like their art as much as the little boys from the blog} However, I thought that it turned out pretty good and hung them both in Kelsie’s room.  {Kayla didn’t want hers in her room}
paint with watercolors, salt, and glue
It was still a lot of fun!  But maybe you can learn from our mistakes if you set out to create this on your own.  Don’t buy the watercolor canvases.  Make sure your paint is soaking wet when sprinkling with salt and splattering with globs and swirls of glue.

No comments: