Thursday, July 28, 2011

Galley/Corridor Kitchens, Decorating 101

**This is a repost from a couple of years ago.** I have noticed the increased search for galley kitchen decorating and though I'd repost it.**
Definition of Galley/Corridor Kitchen: Too small of a kitchen that can be functional but probably not big enough when it comes to having a family.
This of course is not the real definition, which I am sure that you are all aware of. *smiles* But it’s the way I see them. We have a galley kitchen that does not have an eat in area. I wished so much that we had a breakfast nook, but that was out of our reach when it came to redecorating/remodeling on a budget. Sure we could have knocked out a wall or two, but the cost of electrical and plumbing would have cost us both arms and a child! So, we are left with our dinning room and small kitchen.
I will be showing pictures soon of our makeover but until then, I thought I’d leave you with some inspirational photos, if you too have a galley/corridor kitchen. Make the most of your space with colors, lighting, counter tops and function.
image
image
I absolutely love the white cabinets and back splash, with the sleek black countertops. The lighting is also my taste!
image
I love this small galley kitchen. The white cabinets! I also like the recessed lighting and the wood floors. The striped rug makes this room appear longer then it actually is. And the built ins…I love the built in for the microwave, I feel that if you do not have a microwave/hood then you should def get your microwave off of your counters!
image
I love the stone floor in this kitchen, the chandeliers and the green cabinets..Oh my…This is very lovely.
image
The white cabinets and dark counter tops again…I love the high ceilings and they really took advantage of that here. Double cabinets over the counters, all the way to the ceiling! I love it! The recessed lighting and the fixtures…This kitchen has to be my favorite!
So you see ladies, even with small galley/corridor kitchens you can make big statements with your design choices. Make your kitchen appear larger then it actually is.
I hope that these photos inspired you as much as they do me.

6 comments:

Kelli said...

Those are beautiful. Our kitchen is just a big square but too small for a table. I would love to redo it one day.

Laura said...

Oooh, love picture 3! I almost wish I had a galley kitchen, I have one of the L shaped and the galley seems more workable. I guess it's the work triangle thing.

Laura :)

Unknown said...

Hey Joanna! Thanks for that tip. Im not much on ebay but I sure would love to find that curtain. I have called all of our local stores {meaning two} wahoooo. They didnt even know what I was talking about. Oh well. If I find it wonderful if not I can always come over and look at yours...hehe. Your bathroom just got me all exicited and loving that curtain even more. I cant wait to see what yall are doing in your kitchen~

Scooterblu's Whimsy~Rhonda said...

What great inspiration! I love the last one the most!

Happy St. Pat's Day! ~hugs, Rhonda :)

Darlene said...

I would LOVE to have ANY of those kitchens you have shown. Maybe then I might like to cook....what do you think???

My Beautiful Mess! said...

Oh...Ah....I love looking at kitchen redos. I so need to do mine & hope to one day soon. Love the ideas.