Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Low Calorie “Fried” Chicken

I was watching The Chew last week and Daphne Oz went to visit Melissa Joan Hart at her home.  I love The Chew!! It’s on ABC if you haven’t seen it yet.  One of my favorite Iron Chef’s is on here, Michael Symon!!  As well as Daphne Oz, Carla Hall {loved her on Top Chef}, Mario Batali and none other than Clinton Kelly from What Not to Wear!  If you love cooking or any of these peeps, you should be watching The Chew, if you aren’t already.  And if you are already watching then you already know how awesome the show is and reading all that was a waste of your time. ;-)

Anywho. Back to this low calorie fried chicken.  So Melissa Joan Hart made a “fried” chicken that I  knew I was going to have to try. I adapted it just a bit.  After all I am Southern and LOVE me some fried chicken.  AND, I do love MJH.  I watched her on Clarissa all the time and then again on Sabrina.  Speaking of Clarissa, I watched that Sunday while working out on my elliptical.  {ok so a.d.d}

This awesome recipe! {original}

august 2012 041

What do you need?

  • 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 1 cup panko bread crumbs
  • salt
  • pepper
  • 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
  • 1/2 cup whole wheat flour

What do you do?

  1. Pound out your chicken breasts so that they are thinner and will cook more evenly. 
  2. Add the parm cheese to the bread crumbs and season with salt and pepper.
  3. Heat a small bit of oil, I’m talking only enough to keep your chicken from not sticking, in a large skillet or on a griddle over medium high heat.
  4. Dip your chicken breasts into the flour, then the egg, followed by the panko. 
  5. Add the chicken to the skillet or griddle and “fry” until golden brown on each side and cooked through. 

Enjoy!  And with the lack of all that breading and frying in a vat of oil, your shaving off tons of calories!  Yay!  Plus this is crunchy, flavorful, and delicious!  We will definitely be enjoying this every couple of weeks.

In case your looking for a more southern recipe for fried chicken, you can check out our family recipe.

No comments: