Monday, August 6, 2012

Chicken Lo Mien {235 calories per serving}

We love Chinese food and order from the take out place fairly often.  However, I know that it’s all full of calories.  I like to cook at home whenever possible so that I can watch what I put into the recipes and choose lower fat and fat free versions when available.  I have been craving one of my favorites, Chicken Lo Mein and wanted to find a recipe that didn’t call for Italian dressing.  Yes, people some of those recipes call for that.  How can Italian dressing help you make Chicken Lo Mein, a Chinese dish?!  Baffled! So here is the recipe that I found and tweaked a bit to fit our tastes.

august 2012 006

What do you need?

  • 1/2 pound whole wheat angel hair pasta
  • 3 tbsp hoisin sauce
  • 1/4 cup chicken broth
  • 2 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
  • 1 tsp cornstarch
  • 2 tbsp vegetable oil
  • 1/2 medium onion sliced thinly
  • 1/2 cup thinly sliced carrots {I julienned mine}
  • 1 cup broccoli florets
  • 1 cup sugar snap peas {I bought frozen ones Green Giant"}
  • 1 1/4 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into bite sized pieces

What do you do?

  1. Cook pasta according to the box, drain, and rinse with cold water. Set aside.
  2. In a small bowl mix together hoisin sauce, chicken broth, soy sauce, and corn starch.
  3. Heat 1 tbsp vegetable oil over medium high heat in a large skilet {or wok} and stir fry the onions for 2 minutes.  Add the carrots, stir fry for 2 minutes.  Lastly add the broccoli and sugar snap peas, stir fry for 2 minutes.
  4. Remove the vegetables and set aside.
  5. In the same skillet or wok heat the last tbsp of vegetable oil and cook the chicken until no longer pink.
  6. When the chicken is cooked add the noodles, vegetables, and sauce.  Toss with tongs until it’s all coated and heated through.

Serve and enjoy!

Approx 6 servings. 

I used the SparkPeople recipe calculator to get the calories per serving.  235.4 cals per serving

No comments: