Monday, February 22, 2010

From Blogging to a TV Show? Hmmm…

I have an obsession on the weekends to get my home and gardening on, so I watch HGTV.  However, I may not be watching for much longer.  Am I getting rid of our cable?  Nope, but the show that’s coming may change my mind about how I once felt about my home and gardening channel.

Let me explain.

If you’ve been a blogger for a while or you’ve read magazines or even watched the morning shows then you know who Dooce, aka Heather Armstrong is.  You may even be a reader of her blog but I am not.  A year or so ago I remember seeing a segment on her on one of the morning shows, they told about her blog and how her husband quit his job because she was making enough revenue from her advertisers to support the family, I was intrigued to say the least, so I ran over to read right away.  Hey, I wanted to see what was so special about her blogging.  Well, I was not impressed then and I am not impressed now.

Her blog is not the typical mommy blog that I have known to love.  It’s more or less a blog about Dooce’s life.  Although fascinating to some, I just can’t relate to it.  And this is what makes or breaks a blog for me.  If I can’t relate to the blogger in some sort of fashion I just won’t read it.  Plus the language is less than kid friendly.  I can read blogs with cussing from time to time but I am not that kind of person.  And I don’t think that there is room on HGTV for that kind of person either. {but who am I to say that, I am a nobody blogger that doesn’t make one penny from her blog and definitely will never get a tv show because I blog}

In the middle of one of my favorite HGTV shows, Holmes on Homes this past weekend there was a commercial for the upcoming show that features Dooce.  The first words out of my mouth were “her blog is not HGTV material”.  The few times I have visited I have never seen a craft, makeover, paint project or anything that we would be interested in doing.  Maybe she’s going to be a host?  I really don’t know.  But I do know that if the show is any relation to her blog I won’t be watching.  I rattled off 6 blogs to my husband that would make better HGTV fits and that would get far better ratings.

  • Young House Love – Who doesn’t think that this couple would have a hit tv show on HGTV?  I mean come on, from fixing up their entire house to even offering their own design advice?  I’d love to see them on HGTV!
  • The Lettered Cottage – Who doesn’t love Layla’s style and not to mention the magazines and newspapers who have featured her.  Plus she also does design consults!
  • The Nester – From her successful blog to her beautiful tassels, she would be the perfect fit with a show on HGTV called “It doesn’t have to be perfect to be beautiful”.
  • Reluctant Entertainer – Sandy would fit perfectly on HGTV or Food Network.  She would bring a fresh new face with lot’s of ideas!
  • Just a Girl -  Chris has a lovely home and she has made it shine with all the decorating she has done.  I also love that her about photo was taken by her 6 year old! 
  • Knock Off Wood – I fell in love with this blog just a few short weeks ago.  And one post will make you want her to have her own show on HGTV too!

So you see, I have only mentioned 6 bloggers that would be a great fit for HGTV.  Not to down Dooce, but she would be a better fit over at TLC.

9 comments:

Jaime G. said...

young house love for sure!!!!! it's one of my faves.. it probably is my fave about DIY decor and all that jazz!

Erin said...

I've never had a problem with Dooce personally...I find her writing witty and entertaining. But I don't mind swearing and whatnot, as I can get pretty raunchy myself in real life. I'm also totally jealous that she can make money off her blog to the point that even her HUSBAND doesn't have to work. How awesome would that be? With that said, she's getting a show on HGTV?! Seriously? HGTV. That's totally weird. As you said, I can see MAYBE TLC, although I think she's not quite as family friendly as the other things you see on that channel. I'm curious to know what sort of show this is going to be, even though I have to admit I won't be jumping to watch it.

Heatherlyn said...

I've never read it. I've heard about it.

I don't think swearing is classy at all though. Totally unnecessary.

And I seldom watch tv.

Jessica said...

I am HGTV addict as well and noticed that commercial this for the Mommy Blogger. I thought to myself "Who is this?" So I like you will not be watching this show and agree completely with your picks for who would be a better blogger for HGTV. I LOVE The Nester and Just A Girl! What is HGTV thinking???

Kelli said...

Man you are on it. I've never read this Dooce (and I'm not going to tell you how her name reads in my head). I saw something briefly about a blog on HGTV (one of my favorites along with DIY). I swear people only want catching and not quality. So sad.

Kelli said...

Oh and I love Holmes on Homes.

Kristin said...

I totally agree when it comes to being able to connect with a blogger in order to be able to read. I've been reading Dooce for a long time, but then again, she's an ex-Mormon and I like her humor. Although I never saw her as a home design host or anything on HGTV.

Elise said...

NOT a fan of Dooce. I've read her blog once or twice and found her to be quite vulger. Won't be watching her show, either.
Elise

Wendy @ Ramblings from the Sunshine State said...

I saw someone post something on facebook about it (along the lines of what you just said) and didnt know what she was talking about. Ive never heard of this girl! But I dont see why she should be on HGTV either!