Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Signs of Spring…

I love spring…the birds have really been chirping lately..I haven’t seen any just yet but I know those little birdies will be out soon.  Zack said he saw a mocking bird in our sago palm this afternoon.  Every year we have a mocking bird’s nest there, so I am hoping that one will be there again this year.
Flowers are really starting to bloom and with the sun shining brightly overhead and the temperatures remaining in the 70’s during the day and 50’s at night, I am sure things will be in full bloom soon. 
Here is a shot of a beautiful azalea blooming in our front yard…I just love these!
march2009 026
We have a lot of landscaping to do, the yard needs some TLC, the flower beds need replanted…Yep, I love to get outdoors and do these things…I am super excited.
Here are some inspirations that I have found…
image
image
Where do you plant your flowers?  We have an area around a bird bath in the front yard that always gets Impatients planted there.  This is what my mother used to always plant.  It just sorta stuck with me as well.  I don’t do well with flowers at all…I tend to have a brown thumb as opposed to green, because that is the color most everything turns when I plant it.
I really wanna step outside of my comfort zone this year and plant something different…Although last year I planted 2 crepe myrtles and let’s just say that they didn’t make it.  I also planted some Plumeria’s which I hope bloom in July/August this year.  We shall see….I will bring you along my planting journey as I head that way in the next month or so!  What’s in your flower beds?

6 comments:

Buzzings of a Queen Bee! said...

Girl, we had snow this morning in Colorado! So all I can say about these photos are that they look gorgeous...and that it will be at least a few months before I can even think about copying them! Bummer!
Carrie

Shannon said...

Loved all those pics! I usually plant my flowers in pots so I don't have to tear up my flower beds. :)

Anonymous said...

Clean is soooo good! It feels like spring is here and our grass is already starting to turn green a bit,yeah for that. Thanks for being such a sweet friend...right from the start!

Kelli said...

Our yard is getting TLC this year. We need to do some edging and cleaning up badly. I usually like to plant Verbenia (SP?) because they are so colorful. I'm probably just doing pots this year. My mother (who now lives in an apt.) wants to plant Impatients (again, SP?).

Robin @ The Rendered Nest said...

That azalea is gorgeous! I am so glad Spring is here...well most days here in the South anyway!

I don't have any flowerbeds right now, but I have loved gardening in the past...you can see photos of my flowers in my post about our playhouse! Impatiens were always a favorite for me...the secret with them is lots of water and cut them back by 1/3 right after planting...I know, it seems cruel, but they get bushier if you do it!

Try "Autumn Joy" sedum, lamb's ear, and dianthus...they are fail-proof plants!

Have fun gettin' those hands dirty!

Vee said...

Hmmm, I am not able to plant as many different things as you are able to do in your zone, of course. I do have an azalea bush that will bloom in late May so you can see how far behind we are. I try to plant mostly perennials...the usual...lilies, irises, astilbe, etc. I prefer to stick with container gardens for the ease of that. I love my window box and have a lot of fun planting that each year.

Enjoy your planning!