Monday, October 14, 2013

Easy Homemade Pumpkin Pie Poptarts

Please see the updated version of this recipe at my new website, Everyday Made Fresh

Easy?  Yes, this is coming from the girl who has never ever made a pie crust!  This is also coming from the girl who loves to bake, but hates a mess so she’d rather buy the Poptarts.  But with Kelsie’s diagnosis and my realization where 90% of the dye in food comes from, I decided to do away with anything that wasn’t colored au natural. :-)  And so began my search to replace a family favorite…the Pumpkin Pie Poptart.
I found a few recipes on Pinterest, but combined a few to get exactly what our family would love.
Homemade Pumpkin Pie Poptarts copy
So here is my version of the infamous fall family favorite:
Pumpkin Pie Poptarts
What do you need?
Crust
  • 2 cups all purpose flour
  • 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
  • a few dashes of nutmeg
  • 2 sticks of butter, super cold and cubed
  • 1 egg
  • 2 tablespoons original almond milk {you can sub any milk}
Filling
  • 1 cup pumpkin puree
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • dash cloves
  • dash ginger
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 1 egg to brush the tops before putting in the oven
Glaze {optional}
  • 1 cup powdered sugar
  • 1/2 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
  • teaspoons of water until you get the consistency you want.  we went with a thicker drizzled glaze.  you could also brush it on.
What do you do?
Crust
  1. Mix together your dry ingredients. {Flour, sugar, salt, seasoning}
  2. Combine the cubed butter.  You want a wet sand consistency.  You can use a fork, a food processor, or your hands/fingers like I did.
  3. Now add 1 egg and milk.  Mix until well combined.  It’s gonna be WET, so use your hands. 
  4. Now add a few tablespoons of flour, ONE AT A TIME, until you get a soft dough.  I think I needed approx. 4.
  5. Put the dough into a bowl into the freezer while you make up the filling.  I used a metal bowl and put it in the freezer while I was mixing the crust up.
Filling
  1. Mix together all the ingredients until they are well combined. 
  2. Set aside.
Putting them together
  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Flour your surface and get that dough rolled out into a 1/8 inch thickness. 
  3. Cut the dough into equal sized rectangles. I used a pizza cutter to cut my dough.  And I did have to roll out two different times to use all my dough up.  I ended up with 10 poptarts all together.
  4. Assemble your poptarts like so: Lay out half the dough on a cookie sheet and add 1 to 1 1/2 tablespoons per one side of tart. I eyeballed it.  This part is not science.  Just make sure you have enough for all of them without having any left.  Top the tart with the other half of the dough.  Use a fork to crimp the sides together.
  5. Bake for about 20 minutes.  I started checking mine at 17 minutes.  You want them golden brown.  Allow to cool.
To make the glaze you want to combine the vanilla and powdered sugar.  Add a teaspoon at a time and combine until you get the consistency you want.  Drizzle or spread the glaze on. 
My poptarts are not toaster safe!  I keep them in a zip lock bag, laying flat in my fridge.  When somebody wants one I pull it on, put it on a cookie sheet and put it into a cold oven.  I turn the oven on 350.  It takes my oven 14 minutes to heat up, when it has heated up, my poptarts are done.  Just like they were freshly baked the first time.  We also tested them in the microwave for 30 to 45 seconds. 
These guys may take a little longer to make in the beginning but I’m hear to tell you that they are WAY better tasting and WAY better for you then the ones you buy from the store!

No comments: