Thursday, July 7, 2011

Emailing it to You!

 

Thank you to Yahoo! Mail for sponsoring this post about staying connected. I was selected for this sponsorship by the Clever Girls Collective, which endorses Blog With Integrity, as I do.

I have had an email address for as long as I can remember.  I’m 29 years old and I got my first computer when I was 11.  At that time, I jumped on the world wide web with such enthusiasm and couldn’t wait to connect with anybody and everybody.  Of course 18 years ago everybody didn’t own computers like they do now and they certainly didn’t run to the local library to check their email or search their favorite web sites.  I was all alone, in a new world.  I learned the ins and outs of email and searching the internet.  My real connection with friends and family wouldn’t come for years later when we moved to Florida.

We moved to Florida from Alabama when I was 15, and at that time I signed up with Yahoo! email.  I couldn’t wait to email friends and family that I left behind.  We would email about how our day went or we made plans for the next time we would see each other again.  Sometimes we just wrote each other just to write.  It was the “free” way to keep in touch with everybody back home.  My parents wouldn’t just let me pick up the phone whenever I wanted to to call friends back home because long distance charges just cost too much.  So I relied heavily on email.

Without email I would have lost touch with friends that I longed to still be with.  I used to ask questions all the time about what was going on in my old high school.  Did they win the Friday night football game against one of our rivals?  What was the latest gossip and who was going out with who?  You gotta remember I was only 15 at the time and all of that was important to me. 

The biggest connection I made was with my sister n law.  When I had any problems at all I would email her and spill the beans about whatever was going on.  I relied on her for advice and guidance.  Without email I wouldn’t have started a great sisterly relationship with her that continues to grow to this day!  With what started with emailing back and forth….continues today with great trips to their house and vice versa, phone calls that last for hours and the emailing of photos and videos to keep in touch.

November 2010 040

Kelsie dancing last Thanksgiving with my brother and awesome sister n law!

1 comment:

Kay said...

Precious post!! I love our family sooo much!! You are a great sister in law and I'm so glad you came into our family and brought along Z and the girls:) I love you!!!! xoxoxoxoxoxox