Friday, November 7, 2008

Sweet Potato Casserole ~ This Southern Girls Recipe

This is a recipe that we have had in our family for a long time.  It sweetpotato casserolecomes from a cook book that came from Dothan, Alabama.  I do not have the cook book anymore, the recipe is now written on a tiny piece of napkin.  This is a must for the holidays and we always enjoy it on Thanksgiving as well as Christmas.  Another bonus to this..You serve it warm, but all those left overs you will have, this is so yummy cold!
Sweet Potato Casserole

3 cups mashed sweet potatoes (please bake rather then boiling, it holds the flavors and nutrients!)
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1/2 cup butter
1/3 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla flavoring
Topping ~

1 cup brown sugar
1 cup chopped pecans
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup butter
Mix sugar, eggs, butter, milk, vanilla, and mashed sweet potatoes together.  Put into a buttered casserole dish (I use a brownie pan).  Mix together the topping and crumble onto the top.  Bake at 350 degrees for 20 – 30 minutes.

4 comments:

Amanda said...

OMG - my favorite Thanxgiving & Christmas dessert! I can't wait!

Darlene said...

That is one of my FAVORITES for Thanksgiving and Christmas!!! I LOVE it...we call it candied sweet potatoes..YUMMY!

Buzzings of a Queen Bee! said...

This sounds very similar to a recipe we have from my husband's family for Thanksgiving. I only make it once a year because I can't take the calories year round! It is so yummy!
Carrie

Paula@SweetPea said...

This dish is one of my Thanksgiving favorites. Mmmmm