Thursday, July 14, 2011

Let’s Make Goop {or slime}!

Ok, so every time I run across a fun sciencey kids activity, it always calls for Borax. I don’t know about any of y’all out there but I never have Borax just stowed away in a cabinet. So when I ran across this stuff, I was like, we can do this right now! Which was good because the kids have been so bored.
It’s been cloudy for the most part of today and we were too lazy to get dressed and go anywhere and it’s just been too hot to go outside to play. I told the kids to put on some play clothes because I didn’t want them to stain their pj’s and we got to mixing up what Kayla calls Goop!
july 2011 001
They sat and played for a good 45 minutes! I was shocked that it kept them entertained for that long, but it did. Now they have purple stained hands, because we used lot’s of purple food coloring. But it was well worth it for 45 minutes of “I’m so bored!”.
Here’s how you make it!
Mix the following ingredients in a bowl or other container. It may be all crumbly and what not when you start out but just keep stirring, it will finally all come together. {I even used my fingers to help mix it at the end} And when it does it’s a liquid but also a solid. It’s a lot of fun. But if you choose to use food coloring, I would make sure that your on a surface that won’t stain and that the kids are in play clothes in case some of the liquid gets on it. It was all over the table when they were done but it really does wipe right up.
1 1/2 cup Cornstarch
1/2 cup Tap Water
Food Coloring (optional)
Enjoy playing with Goop!

2 comments:

Kelli W said...

Fun! I bet my boys would have a blast making a mess with that:)

Miller Racing Family said...

This is going on the summer to do list. Trey would have a blast with. Thanks for sharing!