Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Creamy Chicken Spinach Alfredo

We were at Dillard’s salon several weeks ago for Kayla to get her hair cut and as we were waiting I picked up a Sandra Lee magazine.  I was flipping through getting hungry and saw a recipe that I mentioned to Kayla I wanted to write down.  Before I could dig out a pen and paper she was called back.  I quickly scanned the ingredients and told my brain to remember them.  It failed and only remembered 3 things, the 3 main ingredients.  So I Googled it a couple of weeks ago and couldn’t find anything.   I thought, “self, you can create something similar”, and I did!  I’m not sure what all was in her recipe other than those 3 ingredients because that is all I can remember from it.  This may in fact be very similar.  Then again it may not be, which I’m really hoping for the latter of the two because I would love to say that I created this tasty dish.

april 2011 008

What do you need?

  • chicken sausage – skins/casings removed
  • 1 jar alfredo sauce
  • 1 9oz bag of fresh spinach – chopped
  • 1 tomato – chopped
  • 1 tbsp garlic – chopped
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp pepper
  • 1 1/2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
  • 1 box of fettuccini pasta
  • parmesan cheese for topping

What do you do?

  1. Combine your chopped tomatoes, salt, pepper, chopped garlic, 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil and Italian seasoning to a bowl and cover tightly, refrigerate.  You want the flavors to meld together. {this can be done the day before}
  2. Remove the skins or casings from your chicken sausage and break up into a large skillet that has been heated over medium to high heat with the 1/2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil.   Scramble up and cook until no longer pink.
  3. Drain any extra grease from the skillet.
  4. Make sure the heat is on medium and pour in your jar of Alfredo sauce, stir together.  Add your chopped spinach, stir until coated and put the lid on.  Heat for about 5 minutes or so, stirring occasionally until the spinach is wilted down.
  5. Stir in your tomato mixture.  Turn the heat off and place the lid on.
  6. Boil the water for your fettuccini and cook until tender.
  7. Drain the pasta and mix together with the sauce.
  8. Plate up and top with parmesan cheese.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

Kelli W said...

Yum! My boys love pasta and white sauce as they call it! I don't know if they would go for the spinach, but maybe all the white sauce would distract them:)

The Starr Family said...

Sigh... I just ate dinner by golly, but I just heard a tiny rumbling after reading this post. Love new recipes!