Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Kids Book Review {The Mouse, The Monster and Me} and {Liking Myself}

I recently had the chance to review a couple of great books by Author, Dr. Pat Palmer, Ed. D. These books are the first I've seen, they are self help books for children ages 5 to 10. With the battles and struggles children face today in their daily lives sometimes it's hard as parents to give the advice and offer the help that our children can relate too. I know that sometimes I see Kayla struggling with something and when I try to help her, she doesn't or can't open up to me because she feels like she can't or it's hard to express her true feelings. I was happy to get the chance to review books that are for her and not the parent. There are so many books geared towards the parents and I feel that sometimes the kids are the ones that need a little push in the right direction.

The book The Mouse, The Monster and Me is for ages 8 and up. This book really helps the child get in their own happy place between the Monster and their Mouse. The monster being the child's angry, out of control self and the mouse being the little guy who always gets the short of the stick so to speak. This book helps the child find the balance between the two.

Liking Myself is a great book for ages 5 to 11 with lot's of help for a child when they are feeling down about life or themselves. It's hard today in this world for a child to have a high self esteem. And I feel like this book really helps bring the best out in the child and show them that we are all great individuals.

Both of these books are wonderfully illustrated in the fact that I think even the kids who don't like to read would be able to pick it up and start reading. The games that are associated in getting the kids involved with their feelings is great! These are just all around great books and any parents with kids between the ages of 5 to 11 should pick them up. All kids have struggles during sometime and I think that these would be perfect to add to their library.

Kayla read both books and wanted to write her own little review....

"I enjoyed these books very much. The book Liking Myself teaches you to be proud of who you are and to know your special. I learned that I am somebody and special. Also the book The Monster, The Mouse and Me teaches your rights and responsibilities."



No comments: