Saturday, February 27, 2010

Ow…Breastfeeding Memories and I Could Never Dress Like a Man

I only breastfed for a few short weeks with Kelsie, however the weeks afterward were the worst. My boobs ached all the time, no matter what I did. I would take Motrin for the pain, use ice {because when your trying to get rid of milk, you don’t want to use heat} and go with the old wives tale of cabbage leaves, foil, paper towels, and ace bandages.

image

Oh, you don’t know that one? Well, I learned it from my mother and grandmother after Kayla was born. You apply cabbage leaves to your breasts, followed by foil and paper towels, then you wrap tightly with an ace bandage. Something in the cabbage leaves is suppose to help, not sure the reason behind that one. And quiet honestly I’m not sure how much truth is behind it either, but I did it anyways.

So, fast forward why the memories are coming back to me. I started taking birth control pills almost 2 weeks ago and my boobs have been taken back to that pain. I am not using cabbage leaves of course but I am using ice and an ace bandage and lot’s of Motrin. Now, I just have to wait.

I called my Aunt, who was my Midwife with Kelsie and is now a Nurse Practitioner and prescribed the pills for me, breast tenderness is a common side effect. That is good to know, but I can’t wait until the pain subsides. It’s almost unbearable. I was even in tears the other day.

Now to dressing like a man. I can’t imagine ever going out in public on purpose with my boobs ace bandaged to my chest. Picking up Kelsie from school was strange enough for me. I wore two shirts and a jacket and prayed that people didn’t notice my boobs were gone.

3 comments:

Courtney said...

Ouch. No fun! I remember how bad I hurt after I stopped breastfeeding {after only 2 weeks} my son. Not good. At all. By the way, I absolutely LOOOOVE your new design! Very 'springy!'

The Un-Nester said...

Ooooooo, sorry girl! Well, you know me, I don't have any boobs sooooo... LOL! But yes, birth control comes with some not so fun side effects. Hopefully you will get used to it and it will get better!

Heatherlyn said...

Sorry for the breast pain. Try a different brand of birth control. I've found that some brands cause that tenderness while other brands do not.