Monday, July 27, 2009

Cleaning Sterling Silver with Baking Soda

I admit the color in this picture isn’t all that and a bag of pork skins, but if you look at the toe ring (yep, that is what that is) you can see the black on the outside of it. 
I got in the hot tub at my brother and sister n laws house while wearing my sterling silver…a big NO, NO! 
I didn’t have anything to clean it with and so I grabbed up my trusty baking soda and made a paste with a little bit of water.  I scrubbed it with just my finger tips (I have used an old tooth brush in the past) and it’s as good as new!
july 2009 018  july 2009 020  july 2009 022

8 comments:

Kelli said...

Oooh! I will have to try that.

The imPerfect Housewife said...

Look at you, you smart thing!! Baking soda is much cheaper than Tarn-X or whatever it is. Did you know when I read your blog, I read it with a southern accent??? How weird is that!? There's another site I go to where the girl is British and I read that one with an English accent. I think I'm confused! Anyway, I just posted my first giveaway yesterday, so pop on by if you get a chance. :) Hope you're doing well, I'm thinking about you ~

Sherri said...

Don't forget also,if you don't have baking soda,that toothpaste will work wonders as well..I have an old silver platter from the thrift store that was really tarnished and I used toothpaste on it and it came out good as new.

the undomesticated wife said...

I've seen that done where instead of scrubbing it, they put the jewelry and baking soda in a pie tin and let it sit for a while.

Baking soda is awesome...great for pulling up wet stains on the carpet, too.

Anonymous said...

Wow. Thanks for sharing that tip. I have a few pieces that look terrible now. Im off to try it. Thanks again!!

Nancy Rosalina said...

I'm going to try that, next time!!! Thanks for sharing the info! Nancy

Heatherlyn said...

I never would have even thought to try that. It's good to know it works!

Laurel @ Ducks in a Row said...

Great tip - thanks!